Labels

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

The Creativity of the Creator

Then the Lord said to Moses, "See, I have chosen Bezalel son of Uri, the son of Hur, of the tribe of Judah, and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with wisdom, with understanding, with knowledge and with all kinds of skills— to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts. (Exodus 31:1-5 NIV)

Earlier in life, I came out of the gates - into independent adulthood - as a graphic designer. At one point, I even forsook my calling to pursue a career in graphic design. Fast forward several years - eight, to be precise - and I was offered an opportunity to transition away from small group ministry into communications at our church. 

I waivered on this. I knew that God had wired me in such a way that I could creatively, and somewhat professionally, design brochures, graphics, logos, videos and so on. And I was happy to offer that where I could. But would a transition to full time communications simply be me wandering back to that stumbling block which lured me away eight years before? 

Then I came across these verse, shared by Jon Ortberg in his book The Me I Want to Be. God revealed to me that he created me, designed me, crafted me, to be who I am. That person is one who thrives in creativity and enjoys opportunities to craft and design - whether it's a logo, brochure, or video piece. That's me...that's my sweet spot. Why would I pursue something outside of that? If the best Me I can be is one who has the opportunity to think creatively and strategically about communications, designing and leading at the same time, then why wouldn't I do that? 

When I read about Bezalel, I think about how significant - and overwhelming - his job was. He was tasked with designing and crafting the original tabernacle of God, all it's furnishing, including the Ark of the Covenant, and he had very specific and explicit instructions on how to do so. I was tempted to minimize art direction to something less holy or pastoral - something beneath the endeavors of one who is ordained in the ministry of the gospel. And yet when it came time to build God's dwelling place among his beloved people, God sought a man who possessed the creativity and skill to see it done. Moses in all his leadership abilities lacked the skills necessary to accomplish these specific things. God needed, not just someone who could lead, but he needed a creative. What's more, Bezalel's role in the Kingdom was such that God saw fit to mention him in the Scriptures. 

I believe that our creativity is the residue of God's fingerprints on each of us. Whether we write, make music, draw, design, scrapbook, take pictures, make movies, or build things, it all stems from the fact we have been created by a God who contains within the very core of his character the original spark of creativity - that essence which prompted him to form us, our world, and all within it, from the passion of his very being. That is the ultimate expression of creativity, and it resinates within each one of us. And it is through our own expressions of creativity that we tap into the heart beat of our loving, masterful, powerful, creative God.  

Sent from my iPad

1 comment:

  1. You are so gifted in so many areas! I love the front row seat to how God is continually using you! Love you.

    ReplyDelete