Labels

Saturday, March 19, 2011

Blind Faith

Hebrews 11:8
It was by faith that Abraham obeyed when God called him to leave home and go to another land that God would give him as his inheritance. He went without knowing where he was going.
It seems like a lot of my study has been focused on faith, lately. Maybe God is trying to teach me something. Several years ago I found myself in a place where God was challenging me to step out of my current circumstances - a career in advertising - and move into a new life of vocational ministry. This was scary for us. It was challenging on a number of levels. I had to eat a few words of earlier claims I'd made - that I'd "never be a youth pastor." And yet, I was certain that God was calling me into youth ministry - more certain of this than anything I'd ever felt before. I'd have to defend this before my wife, my relatives, and even some of our friends. If this was what God was calling me to do, I had to be sure... and I had to move. This certainly was a point in my life where my faith was tested, and I had to be willing to put it into motion.

But I knew where I was going. I knew I was leaving one thing behind, and moving to St. Marys, Ohio, to begin my youth ministry. I knew the salary I'd receive, and the home we'd be living in. I was moving out in faith, but I had the destination all mapped out for me.

Abraham moved in his obedience, but didn't know where he was going. His faith moved him to step out in total dependence on God. Every step, he required God's guidance to know if he was moving in the right direction. He wouldn't even know that he'd arrived until God revealed it to him. Chambers writes:
"Living a life of faith means never knowing where you are being led. But it does mean loving and knowing the One who is leading."
Even in my attempts to live a life of faith, I wonder if I'm really depending on God for everything. As long as I know that everything will be fine, I'm ready to move... but if there are any questions lingering, I find myself saying, "I don't have a peace about this." Is my faith deep enough to move me in spite of that restlessness? Am I willing to blindly step out in obedience as Abraham did?

God, lead me... move me... and give me the strength to follow, even when I can't see the ending. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment