Labels

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Ready. Set. Focus.

Luke 12:40
You also must be ready all the time, for the son of Man will come when least expected.
I read a great quote from Chambers this morning (by the way, if you read my last post you may be wondering how this is possible. Well, I discovered that my Bible study software, QuickVerse, includes My Utmost for His Highest in its library. Technology saves the day again):
"This battle is not against sin, difficulties, or circumstances, but against being so absorbed in our service to Jesus Christ that we are not ready to face Jesus Himself at every turn."
I think a lot of us think that being ready means we have to be doing something. We have to get ready, Jesus is coming! We focus on getting our lives in order, our doctrine in order, our Christian check-list in order, and our lives become more about doing than being. Ultimately, our being requires our doing. But when doing is our focus, we have a tendency to make the Christian life about the destination - getting things in order so we can enjoy the benefits of eternal life.

But here's the deal: my readiness is less about my eternal destination and more about my moment-by-moment focus on God. I want to be ready to face Jesus at any moment of any day. I believe that's the way He wants us to live - to be responsible with that which he's given us. To serve faithfully, but not at the expense of our undivided focus on him.

No comments:

Post a Comment