Labels

Saturday, March 19, 2011

Pastor or Planner? Yes.


 Lance Witt/REPLENISH 
 by ericdunaway
"the vocation of pastor has been replaced by strategies of religious entrepreneurs w/ business plans" Eugene Peterson from book The Pastor

I came across this quote on Twitter a week or so ago, and it really challenged me. God called me to be a pastor. There was a time when that meant I was available to serve people, and that was what ministry was all about. I met with, prayed with, served with, grew with... people. It seems like a lot of that has been replaced by, as Peterson said, plans and strategies. I actually love to plan... and I enjoy strategy. I think both are important. But if I'm choosing strategy planning over being with people, then I can't help but feel that I'm missing the point. And honestly, I'm missing one of the most rewarding things about being a pastor. That's what God called me to be... a pastor. Not a strategist. Not a program planner. Not a graphic designer. Each of those are skills I contribute to my ministry... but they are not my ministry. Thanks, Peterson... for challenging my socks off. And thanks, Lance Witt, for throwing it in my face. Seriously. I needed that.

No comments:

Post a Comment