Labels

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Smart Phone Detox

Over three years ago I got my first smart phone - a first-gen Apple iPhone. Two years later I switched to an Android phone on Verizon. For three years, I've carried one of these handy little devices that have allowed me to take mobile communications to a whole new level. Internet and email would magically download to my pocket, no matter where I was. Calendars and contacts sync with multiple computers. Even my tasks and to-do's would sync wirelessly between phone and office. I was consumed by the marvel of mobile telecommunications.

Three months ago, I did something some would consider drastic and reckless: I turned the data connection on my smart phone off. That's right. No more email beaming to my phone on a whim. No more cloud sync over 3G. In fact, I've reduced my phone to a... well... a phone... with the occasional benefit of WiFi sync and internet browsing.

It occurred to me on my drive in to the office that I can't remember the last time I heard that little "bleep" indicating a new email on my phone. It also occurred to me that I don't miss it. It still houses my calendar and contacts. But all other smartness has been deactivated. And I'm okay with that.

Let the revolution begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment