Labels

Friday, March 18, 2011

To Please Him

2 Corinthians 2:9
So whether we are here in this body or away from this body, our goal is to please him.
I set up my little end of the dining room table to do my study this morning and was mildly devastated to discover that I'd left my composition note pad, otherwise known as my journal, on my desk at the office. Journaling is a major part of my quiet time routine, and has been for the past five or six years. I was actually tempted to skip my quiet time in response to this little mishap. Then I remembered this blog. Heathenism averted.

What does it mean to please God? Is this about doing stuff for him? Is it about checking everything off the spiritual "to-do list," and leaving everything unchecked on the "do-not-do list?" Is it my ministry, my "sacrifices," my giving or volunteering that please God? Or is it my willingness to just be still in his presence that truly pleases him?

The first of this year I started working my way through Oswald Chamber's devotional book, "My Utmost for His Highest." Chambers writes on this passage, explaining that pleasing God is the servant's primary goal:
"It means... not making our first priority to win souls, or to establish churches, or to have revivals, but seeking only 'to be well pleasing to Him.'"
Recently God revealed to me that I've had the wrong focus for a very long time. My focus was on being a good dad, or a loving husband, or a devoted pastor, or a good speaker, or a strong leader. He revealed to me recently that he just wants my undivided focus on him; he has to be my first priority. That's what pleases him. And when my life is focused on him, the rest will follow. I will love my wife and children more; I will serve him with more passion and devotion; I will live a life that reflects the holiness to which I've been called. It's my focus on him - the priority of my life - that truly pleases him.

God, help me keep my undivided attention and focus on you in all that I do. My life isn't about designing programs, leading people, or achieving anything, but simply focusing all of me on you. Remind me to hold all else in the light of my love for you. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment